It has now been seven years since you first granted me the honor of serving as Maryland’s governor, and there has not been a single day—good or bad—when I was not grateful for the privilege.
Our mission was to change Maryland for the better, and I’m proud to report that we have done exactly what we said we would do, and because of that, the state of our state is strong—by any measure, stronger and better than it was when we began our mission.
We have changed Maryland for the better by:
- Facing our fiscal challenges head-on, easing the tax burden, and paving the way for historic economic growth and record job creation;
- Making record investments in education eight years in a row to prepare our children for the opportunities of the future;
- Protecting the health care coverage of Marylanders and providing lower insurance rates for the first time in a decade;
- Providing historic funding for Chesapeake Bay restoration efforts and land preservation programs, and by setting bold goals to reduce greenhouse gas emissions; and
- Investing record amounts in transformative infrastructure projects, along with historic investment to ensure universal high-speed internet access to everyone in every corner of the state.
Now it’s time to finish the work we started together.
This year, we’re going to keep changing Maryland for the better by passing more much-needed tax cuts for hardworking families, small businesses, and retirees. We’re going to keep pushing the Maryland General Assembly to finally pass tough violent crime legislation and to provide our police, firefighters, and first responders with the support and the resources they need to keep our communities safe. And we’re going to continue our fight to restore trust and fairness to our political system.
As we reflect on all that we have accomplished together, and as we embark on the hard work still left to be done, I want to once again say thank you to the people of Maryland for giving me this incredible honor of serving as your governor.
This truly is the most important work of my life, and I pledge to you that I am going to keep giving this job everything I’ve got, every single day that I am given.