PHOTO RELEASE: Governor Hogan Tours New Southern Maryland Mass Vaccination Site in Waldorf
15,000 Appointments Already Booked at FEMA-Supported Site
ANNAPOLIS, MD—Governor Larry Hogan today visited the new FEMA-supported Southern Maryland mass vaccination site located at Regency Furniture Stadium in Charles County. The site opened yesterday—one week ahead of schedule—with 493 shots of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine administered. In total, the first 15,000 appointments for the site have been booked.
“Our mass vaccination sites are a key component of a statewide strategy that maximizes points of distribution in every single jurisdiction,” said Governor Hogan. “This site will soon vaccinate thousands of Marylanders daily, bringing us that much closer to eradicating this pandemic with each passing day. I want to thank FEMA and all of our federal partners for their support of this site.”
The governor was joined by Acting Secretary Dennis Schrader of the Maryland Department of Health; Brigadier General Janeen Birckhead, head of the Maryland Vaccine Equity Task Force; Deputy Federal Coordinating Officer Craig Levy of the Federal Emergency Management Agency; Dr. Dianna E. Abney, Charles County Health Officer; and President Reuben Collins of the Charles County Commission.
Earlier today, the state reported a one-day record of 46,384 shots administered, for an overall total of 1,482,780 doses.
By the end of March, the state will have at least one mass vaccination site up and running in each region of the state that is capable of administering thousands of shots per day, as supply increases:
- The Capitol Region mass vaccination site at Six Flags America opened on Friday, February 5.
- The Baltimore mass vaccination site at the Baltimore Convention Center opened on Friday, February 5, and the second Baltimore mass vaccination site—at M&T Bank Stadium—opened on Thursday, February 25.
- The Southern Maryland mass vaccination site at Regency Furniture Stadium opened on Thursday, March 4.
- The Eastern Shore mass vaccination site at Wicomico Youth & Civic Center in Salisbury will open no later than Thursday, March 18.
- The Western Maryland mass vaccination site at the Hagerstown Premium Outlets will open by the end of the month.