Governor Hogan’s Federal Disaster Declaration Request Approved for Baltimore, Howard Counties After May Floods
Federal Funds Will Be Available to Help Recoup Costs for Damage to Infrastructure, Debris Removal
ANNAPOLIS, MD – Governor Larry Hogan’s request for a presidential disaster declaration for Baltimore and Howard Counties has been granted by the federal government, making federal disaster assistance available to supplement state and local recovery efforts in the areas affected by severe storms and flooding from May 27 to May 28, 2018.
“The people who live and work in Ellicott City, along with those in affected areas in Baltimore County, have been working hard each day as they recover from the destructive storms in late May,” said Governor Larry Hogan. “We are grateful that the federal government granted this portion of our request for assistance, which will help rebuild the infrastructure that was damaged by these powerful storms so that these communities can thrive once again.”
Governor Hogan also requested federal aid for Baltimore City; that request is still pending with the federal government.
In addition to funding for emergency work and the repair or replacement of facilities damaged by the severe storms and flooding, federal funding is also available on a cost-sharing basis for hazard mitigation measures.
“We will work closely with Howard and Baltimore counties to assist them throughout the process of obtaining federal assistance,” said Maryland Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) Executive Director Russell Strickland. “We also will be collaborating with our local partners to apply the funds to support recovery and mitigate future damages.”
This declaration for Howard and Baltimore Counties comes after a major disaster declaration was granted last month for flood damages in Frederick and Washington Counties in mid-May.